Henry in NYC

I am a relatively new addition to the NYC scene. This is my story of growing here. This blog is dedicated to my NYC experience, no matter how trivial some parts of it might be.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

New Orleans - Day 6 - Return is imminent

On the drive to pick up my bags, I observed a politically active New Orleans. It was election day and multitudes sprawled the streets attempting to secure votes for their candidate in this crucial race which would be very pertinent to the future direction of New Orleans rebuilding and repopulation. 26 candidates were on the ticket each with his own solution to the New Orleans struggle to come back. One question in my mind is whether displaced people living in other cities out of state like Houston, TX should be allowed to vote or if it should be assumed that they have built new lives and are not planning to return. People believed they should have the right to have a stake in New Orleans future. Personally, I chose not to vote because I know I will not be a part of New Orleans ever again and it wasn't my right to decide on the future of a place I will not be a part of. The results were that the incumbent Mayor Nagin will run off against Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu on May 20. I believe this is a fork in the road in which one of the two candidates will lead New Orleans into a very different direction.

On the flight back, one last hurdle appeared. The flight from Chicago to Newark was originally delayed 2 hours, during which time the passengers were to have boarded and rested on the runway. Luckily in the end it was only a 30 minute delay. No matter what though, as long as I could return to my city, NYC, I was happy.

Being back in Manhattan was wonderful. Again the security of being surrounded by man's skyscapers. Then the security of being wrapped in my lovely wife's arms. I am home once again.

1 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's soooo good to have you back!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home