Henry in NYC

I am a relatively new addition to the NYC scene. This is my story of growing here. This blog is dedicated to my NYC experience, no matter how trivial some parts of it might be.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Airport

The airport security was insane this trip. At the German airport I lost a stick of deodorant and my contact lens solution. The guard simply reprimanded me with "keine Fluessigkeiten" (NO Liquids). In the terminal I looked around me and noticed that there was a disproportionate number of people wearing glasses. Apparently they knew that there would be no solution allowed in flight and who wants to risk having your contact dry out on a long flight.

What was unusual is that the USA allowed contact lens solution on the way to Germany. Why would Germany's rules be stricted than ours?

1 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not Germany's rules...it's American rules for incoming flights to the U.S. You only get questioned and checked when flying to the U.S....but not if you're flying to any other country in the world.

For years now American airlines have requested interrogations to incoming passengers from foreign countries. These questions included who packed your luggage and where. If all electronic devices are yours and whether they have been repaired recently, etc.

I was very amused by the shocked expression of my interrogator who asked where I'll stay in the U.S. and for how long. In a snotty voice I answered "In my apartment in New York and I'll stay until I have vacation again." Probably not the smartest thing to do...but I was sick of their questions. He made me fill out an adress form...which I did, until I realized that U.S. Permanent Residents did not have to fill out the form. I threw it out. That felt good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home